Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Disappearing Key ~ Debut Novella by Wendy Paine Miller, ©2013



“All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I’ve been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don’t mean anything
When you’ve got no one to tell them to
It’s true. . . ”
--Brandi Carlile, musician ~ "The Story"

Part One: Gabrielle Bivane: My husband, Roy, and I have longed for a child and have had the sadness of two pregnancies ending without the warmth of a child, living, breathing. This birth is different. It must be. We have planned. Our daughter, Oriana, is the joy of our life. Whatever it takes, we will keep Oriana safe, secure, and protect her very life.
***
Part Two: Oriana Rose Bivane: There is more in this music box than the opening strains of Edelweiss. The key. The nightly opening of the box kept in the back of my parents' closet. I know I am different from other girls. I am not allowed sleepovers nor to be away from home at night. I question, "Why?"

My parents are in the medical science field, but I have never been to a doctor appointment. I am cared for at home. But at what expense to my life? I see things in color. Lively color.

"How someone with synesthesia might perceive (not "see") certain letters and numbers. Synesthetes see characters just as others do (in whichever color it's actually displayed), yet simultaneously perceive colors as associated to each one.

"The automaticity of synesthetic experience. A synesthete might perceive the left panel like the panel on the right." --en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I have difficulty talking with my parents about my wondering. I do talk to our gardener, Viola, as we work side-by-side. She hears my heart song.

Secrets. There are secrets at our house. I am now fourteen. I want to know the answers, whispers in the dark.
***
Part Three: Viola Nephesh: I have come to be part of this family; Gabby, Roy, and their daughter, Oriana. I am with Oriana when she isn't in school until her parents are home from the hospital. They both are in genetics and have busy schedules. Researchers, they also have a supplied medical facility in the basement of their house. Experiments with refrigerated chemicals with solution formulas written on scraps of paper.
***
My favorite character is Emile Roberts. She comes in and out of the story and I would like to know more about her. She appears to care about this family beyond a curiosity. Her point-of-view would be interesting. So, as you can see, these people came alive for me. Kudos to the author. One drawback was the smaller print size. Don't let the width of the book fool you. The content is packed full. The cover is very well done depicting the story.
thoughtsthatmove.blogspot.com
author Wendy Paine Miller
  ***Thank you to author Wendy Paine Miller for sending me a copy of her debut novella. Enjoying her blog, ~ thoughts that move ~, this novella will have you wondering what will happen next and keep you reading to find out. With medical ethics in question, there is no certainty in how it will end. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.***

No comments:

Post a Comment