Monday, September 7, 2015

Lady Maybe by Julie Klassen, © 2015



I like how this story begins; as an observer and then from the actual person's account. What we see isn't always how it is.

I have stopped reading at the end of the 22nd chapter ~
   "And take my copy of Sir Charles Grandison, since yours was lost. I insist."
   "Thank you, I should like that. When will you depart?"
   "On the morrow. But no need to hurry. Take your time packing your things and making arrangements. Even stay on if you change your mind. Just promise me you'll let Mr. Lowden know of any changes in your residence so he will know where to send the monthly stipend for Daniel's upkeep."
   She said, "I don't know that I will be seeing Mr. Lowden."
   "Oh ..." He drew out the syllable, eyes glinting. "Somehow I think you will."
I have read this far because of my favor for Julie Klassen's writings. I cannot read any further, even to search for a redemption. I would not have chosen this novel if I had known the content. My view is it feeds the flesh of the reader and not the spirit. I choose not to continue. I cannot recommend this novel to the readers of Julie Klassen's previous novels. One may say, I should complete the novel before making this observation. The content has unnecessary sexual description behind closed doors that is left to the imagination with little left out. I am offering a caution.

I will look to Julie's next novel with Bethany House, The Painter's Daughter, releasing in December 2015.

***This review copy was received from Berkley Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC, upon request. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.***

No comments:

Post a Comment