Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Seven Brides for Seven Mail-Order Husbands Romance Collection: A Newspaper Ad for Husbands Brings a Wave of Men to a Small Kansas Town by Cynthia Hickey, Susan Page Davis, Susanne Dietze, Darlene Franklin, Patty Smith Hall, Carrie Francett Pagels, and Gina Welborn, © 2017



Thank you, author Carrie Fancett Pagels, for having a print copy of Seven Brides for Seven Mail-Order Husbands Romance Collection sent to me. I will be reviewing her novella, Dime Novel Suitor, and continue on to other Turtle Springs, Kansas happenings. The Collections are so interesting in theme and the opportunity to meet new authors possibly too.

Turtle Springs, Kansas
April 1866
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper
you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

Dime Novel Suitor by Carrie Fancett Pagels
Widow Caroline Kane is the proprietor of a restaurant and inn—
and responsible for her five teenaged siblings. But she has
no plans of finding a mail-order groom.

Britisher Barden Granville IV is on a “cowboy holiday”
when he finds himself flat broke in Kansas.  When he
answers an old “help wanted” ad, Caroline misconstrues
Barden is there as a potential husband. Will the beautiful
and feisty widow cause the new vicar to make Kansas his home?

My Review:

How did I ever come into this? Caring for the Tumble Inn and my five younger siblings. Now that Pa's died, my older sister declares she is making decisions for us to better my situation. She has entered my name as a sponsor for bringing the ragtag (my words) to town for weddin'. And... she has offered the Tumble Inn for all of the commotions!
Image result for 1866 inn 3-story

Caroline Kane has an adventure ahead of her. Have you ever been put in a situation, not of your own doings, that got you so wrapped up in it there wasn't even time to think about what was coming next?

Barden Granville has come to town for a cowboy adventure before continuing on to his British home. His first venture in Kansas City didn't work out exactly as he thought it would.... Innocence sometimes could turn ~ almost ~ deadly.

Spunky Caroline may have unknowingly met her match. Told the "auditions" are over, Barden finds he has arrived late. Has he missed his chance for the job he has come to apply for at the inn? Thankfully, Caroline says she needs help in the kitchen and Barden has declared he has been tutored as a cook by her friends in Kansas City. My, how that worked out well, filling both of their needs! And a room to boot!

Caroline is convinced her friends would not have sent him on if they did not approve. My, the advertisement all the way to Kansas City...

A comedy, indeed. This is what is known as a double-meaning.
"I'm Barden Granville, and I'll be responsible for dinner preparations here." He gave them what he hoped was a winning smile. "For the next six weeks at least."
   --Dime Novel Suitor, 323.
A trial period to see if he fits in...

Image result for beadles dime novels Image result for beadles dime novels Image result for beadles dime novels
Image result for Kansas ranch plains

The thrilling stories Barden had read in Beadle's Dime Novels carry him forward to his desire to find a cowboy experience in Turtle Creek on his holiday. Especially then finding there is a ranch nearby, and it is owned by... Caroline's sister and her husband!
"And I should have told you why I'd come to America."
"Cowboy?"
"Yes."
   --Ibid., 371.
This is a fun story with a lot of action and moving on as the family comes to seek advice from Barden. He has support from other kitchen staff as he prepares culinary feats for boarders and those stopping by to eat at the inn restaurant. He has other skills that endear him to those in Turtle Creek.


Carrie FancettPagels
author Carrie Fancett Pagels

4 comments:

  1. I love your review of Dime Novel Suitor! I agree, it is such a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, All Barden knew of cowboy adventures is what he had read and were glorified as splendid. I am thankful what we may read is true and indeed glorified in praise for each of us to receive. So thankful for His promises: Matthew ll:28-30 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
      “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
      “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for this wonderful review!!! I don't know what happened to my original post, Kathleen! I did it from my phone and I've had trouble with my posts showing up. I loved this review! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moment it came in the mail, I read it! Thank you so much!! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

      Delete