Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Key on the Quilt by Stephanie Grace Whitson c2012

Historical Fiction! My very favorite genre. The Key on the Quilt is Book 1 of The Quilt Chronicles by Stephanie Grace Whitson. Visit the blog she co-authors at www.footnotesfromhistory.blogspot.com to follow "Footnotes: Novel Inspirations from History."

Enter a historic Nebraskan prison where three women find betrayal, love, and ultimate truth. Jane Prescott is serving a ten-year sentence for murder. Can a broken spirit be healed behind bars? Matron Mamie Dawson feels called to help the wounded women in her charge. Will a guard's attentions keep her from her mission? Warden's wife Ellen Sullivan has changed her preconceptions about these female prisoners. Will it be enough to save her from a life-or-death situation? Will the cryptic quilt connecting their lives expose the truth of one woman's past and ensure a better future for them all?
Author Stephanie Grace Whitson 
Read Chapter 1 here:
http://www.barbourbooks.com/product/Key-on-the-Quilt,8925.aspx?Tab=Books&sj=789

My Review:
This story follows three main characters, Jane Prescott, Mamie Dawson, and Ellen Sullivan, as they find friendship goes beyond circumstance.
I liked this story of forgiveness and acceptance as each learned their value beyond what was seen. I had two favorite minor characters. The first kept popping up throughout the story to be the reconciliator and clarifier of truth in the person of Dr. Max Zimmer. He opens the story, closes it, and fills it in in-between. Definitely, Jane's sweet daughter Rose deserves her own story! She has shown maturity beyond her years as she grows to love within revealed truth that will change her life forever.
The monotony of sameness of every day is strengthened by the resolve of each person as they enrich each other just by being who they are. Can we do this and set differences aside? I liked the writing of the author and look forward to the continued stories in this Chronicle series. Being a quilter myself drew me to this story. I received this book in the mail just before my husband and I were on our way to our family in another state. We stopped at an antique store and I bought an old quilting magazine. Getting back in the car to continue on our long day's drive, I opened the magazine and... the exact same quilt pattern on the back of the book was inside!

I want to thank Barbour Publishing for sending me a print copy of The Key on the Quilt that I was able to take with me on our trip. This review is in my own words. I enjoyed this book and will think on it and its principles long after reading the last page.


6 comments:

  1. This one sounds good Kathleen! Can't wait to read it. I was telling my friend Sue about it. She's always looking for good books to read too. I told her to check your blog out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Sue just commented on a music CD I reviewed this evening. Because I quilt, this series caught my eye. Looking forward to the next book due out in September; The Shadow on the Quilt. Historical Fiction is my favorite. Thank you for popping in!! Good to hear from you, Linda! Kathleen

      Delete
  2. I am so thrilled to find a quilter who is enjoying this book ... I've wanted to write "quilt stories" for so long ... and I'm delighted to be able to do it ... thank you for your kind words! The Shadow on the Quilt and A Patchwork Christmas release this fall ... blesings and happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine my surprise when Courthouse Steps was in the old quilting magazine I had bought matching the back cover of your book! I look forward to reading your further stories, as you know, your characters are still walking around!! Kathleen

      Delete
  3. Those kinds of "serendipities" happen all the time with quilts. At least it seems to me that they do. Sometimes it's as if the quilts are really talking. But then I play with imaginary friends for a living, so ... perhaps it's just another facet of the insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to reproduce an underground railroad quilt. I was surprised too when I typed the last part of my sentence above. They just took over, lol.

    ReplyDelete