Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Becoming a Woman of Excellence: 30th Anniversary Edition by Cynthia Heald, © 2016

Now, my daughter, do not fear. I will do for you whatever you ask, for all my people in the city know that you are a woman of excellence. Ruth 3:11



My Review:
I participated in a Bible study of the first edition of this book. In this 30th anniversary revised and updated edition, the author shares her journey of excellence as "a certified older woman." How wonderful to have a seasoned mentor:
   As I reflect on these past decades, I'm amazed that I continue to ask, "What would a woman of excellence do?" Using this question to determine my choices and setting my heart to "approve the things that are excellent" (Philippians 1:10) has served to guide and protect me in special ways. It is a priceless blessing to look back over my life and have few regrets.
   One of the key verses in my life now is Psalm 7l:18: "Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me" (NLT). So it is with much thankfulness to God that I commit this study to all who come after me. May you discover the great joy of taking God at His word and walking with Him daily in order to become a woman of excellence who brings Him honor and glory.
   --author Cynthia Heald
The first chapter begins with defining excellence ~ from the biblical view of excellence, or in the search for excellence how most people would define it? I like the quotes and references included throughout the study, along with "thoughts and reflections from an older woman" written by the author in this renewed study guide. A foundational memory Scripture begins each chapter, looking at specific Scriptures within each topic, and questions directed toward applying what is learned. There is a Notes section in the back, along with a leader's guide, directing to further reading referenced within each chapter excellence.

It's not about achieving, but being. I like how the author guides through Scripture and questions to how it applies, adding to our lives in a simplistic way rather than striving. God's virtues are becoming and alive as we specifically apply Scripture to our lives as a lifelong process. To become ~ "to grow into, to come to be, to undergo change or development, to be transformed."

If you are looking for a new fall study, individually or for a study group, this would be an excellent choice for women of all ages, single or married. The study contains: the goal worth pursuing, God's character, and becoming like Christ; the cost rooted in surrender and exemplified by obedience; the prize molded by discipline, guarded by discretion, made precious by a gentle and quiet spirit, perfected by purity, and proclaimed by wisdom; the praise portrayed in the life of a godly woman.

***Thank you to Tyndale Blog Network for sending me a review copy of Becoming a Woman of Excellence. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.***


Cynthia Heald
Author of Becoming a Woman Bible Study series and numerous other books and devotionals.
cynthiaheald.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment