Saturday, January 7, 2012

Quilting

The joys of Quilting! For the past couple years I have been joining ladies coming from surrounding communities all day on Tuesdays to machine quilt. Westside Quilters has been meeting together for several years and I thank Della, our instructor, for her encouragement, fabric scraps, and You Can Do It attitude. With remodeling of our home, the majority of my first quilt was done on Tuesdays and they had a party for me when I finished. I was, and still am, given 100% cotton scraps to make my scrappy ***stars***. I love stars! There are so many variants in shapes and I like them. It took me 1-1/2 years to complete my first quilt and talk to everyone at the other tables during the process of selecting lights, darks, mediums and putting them together. My first choice: a California King size. I measured, cut, sewed, used the little hand ripper and resewed. When I finished the blocks, I sewed them together and added the borders, mitering the corners. I laid out the backing I had sewn together in three strips, putting the batting inside my sandwich, laid my quilt top and began pinning it all together. That was interesting, especially the next day. Wanting to learn the whole process from beginning to end, I quilted it myself and put on the binding. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning and assembling.

Sleeping Under the Stars

Now our California King guest bed upstairs has a welcoming quilt and I have begun my second ~*~ Queen size quilt. I am working on the designs I originally wanted to begin with: Judy Martin's The Block Book sampler. Now, not only am I measuring, I am using Math (yikes!) to compute the shapes. I am using her companion book, Judy Martin's Ultimate Rotary Cutting Reference. I am learning beyond joining colors. Here is a photo of the quilt that interested me in beginning quilting. I will be adding a third section in the middle, top to bottom inside, and continue the outer row of stars along the vertical sides.

[Maureen Lazenby, Fleet, Hampshire, UK ~*~ I call this quilt "It's All Judy Martin's Fault..." It won the prize for traditional patchwork at Quilts UK in 2000.]

This quilt makes me so happy!! All those colors and shapes. Now you know why I love ***s! I wrote to Maureen and she wrote back encouraging me to finish my first quilt before I started this one. Yay! Maureen! You knew what you were talking about.

I have enjoyed collecting my quilting stash. I have had fun going to the Quilt Shop Hops with my friend, Mary, and riding to buy fabric and out to lunch with our quilting group. I order quilting books and some fabric online. I am thoroughly enjoying all that goes along with quilting. Friends. Fun. Warmth of Quilts.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the star quilts, we're two birds of a feather there! In the first picture, the second quilt from the left has me drooling and ready to make one similiar.
    What site do you use for ordering your fabrics on line?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an update to my reply below, http://www.alwaysopenquiltshop.com/ has closed it's online store.
      "If you're ever this way, just think! you could be 'sleeping under the stars' ~*~ you picked the right one; the second one from the left is my very first quilt.
      I like to order from here:
      http://www.alwaysopenquiltshop.com/
      They have nice fabric and reasonably priced sales of end of bolts. I buy Thimbleberries and RJR Fabrics mostly. Also have Timeless Treasures and Henry Glass among others. Lists amount of yardage left. I've been happy with them. Sign up for the monthly drawing, bottom left."

      Delete
  2. I love that star quilt. The colors are great. Stars are my favorite quilt subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Briana. For visiting my "Quilting" page. I am loving stars and quilt-making!

      Delete
  3. Kathleen, I love your star quilt. I also have made a star quilt with a yellow background. I made mine out of batiks several years ago. Oh my, a California King as a first quilt?? I am impressed!! And mitered borders, WOW!! How did you quilt it?? Scrap quilts are one of my favorites too. I'm sure your second quilt will turn out lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To quilt it, I stitched around the star points and center square on the scrappy blocks, outlining a star on the neighboring tan blocks by stitching the length and width of all the center squares, vertically and horizontally, with a continual stitch; adding a box shape from the points, the star shape was complete. I used a "darning foot" to free-style "meandering" on one of the borders, kind of like a "roller-coaster" up and down stitch. I used straight stitch for the other borders, with diagonal reversed V's on one, and outward rectangular lines for the last border. Because we were remodeling with a lot of carpenter dust, I mainly sewed on our all day Tuesday machine quilting together here: http://www.wflc.net/quilters.asp
      Fun, Fellowship and Quilting makes for a great day! As far as mitered corners, I didn't know any different that it was "supposed to be hard." Same for the CA King size ~*~ made the quilt for our guest bed upstairs! We bought a new QUEEN size bed for our room downstairs, to support my quilting! Needless to say, they had a chicken/cheese quesadillas lunch party for me when I finished the binding on my quilt.

      Delete