Monday, May 28, 2012

Book 1! Maggie's Journey by Lena Nelson Dooley




What a beautiful story! How am I ever going to write a review without giving it away? I will tell it best by telling you about the character and integrity of the people in Maggie's Journey.


I liked that they shared their food on the train.

    Georgia pulled the picnic basket from under their seat. "Is anyone besides me hungry?"

    Charles dropped back onto his bench. "I could do with some food about now. What do we have?"

    "Knowing Mrs. Jorgensen, probably enough to feed an army." Maggie lifted the hinged lid and enticing aromas of roast beef and something spicy permeated the air around them.

    She looked up and noticed that the people sitting near them glanced longingly toward the food. She lowered her voice. "We can't eat in front of these people. I wouldn't feel right about it."

    Georgia made a quick scan of the car. "There are less than a dozen people, counting us. Maybe some of them have been on the train for quite a while. Do you think we have enough to share?"
     
    Maggie nodded. "But what will we do for food after it's all gone?"

    Charles raked his long fingers through his hair. "The train will have to stop to take on fuel and water. Usually we can buy food where it stops. Besides, some of this will spoil before we can eat all of it."

    "Then let's divide what we have." Maggie lifted the tea towel covering the food.

Right away, I liked them!!

Their kindness is reciprocated at their first stop for food. Replenished by a refill for their basket, they are told to choose what they would like from a restaurant supply room. Fresh fruit and canned goods, in addition offered a can opener, extra biscuits and ham. This doesn't just happen! Favor.

Throughout there is kindness and listening, making right choices when there could have been bitterness. Harboring ill feelings and imagining others' intent could have soured relationships. Open communication restored what protective walls never could have achieved.

This is the first story I have read by author, Lena Nelson Dooley. Very well written, I connected with Maggie's story and it was a quick read for me. I would like to go beyond this segment of their lives!

~*~ In the beginning, it took me a while to warm up to Charles. He seemed scattered and unsure, but real. After experiencing a couple of setbacks, he realized his need to look outside himself to God's plan for his life.

~*~ I would have liked Georgia explored more. She showed great wisdom with Charles and Maggie individually and I would have liked to have gotten to know her better. I would like them revisited in a few years!

~*~ I liked the growth in Maggie's parents as they became reacquainted and shared their hearts. Sometimes a marriage grows stale by inactivity in each other's life and they need to rediscover themselves. It enriches all they come in contact with.

~*~ I am glad for Maggie's future and the part her family and friends will play in it. Maggie is very enjoyable and has strength and character beyond her years!

~*~ Maggie's grandmother shared her love and acceptance, and was vital in this portion of Maggie's life. All of them blended in growth and learning to understand each other. Expressing themselves, listening and forgiveness were key.

I am looking forward to reading books 2 and 3 of the McKenna's Daughters Series! I have Mary's Blessing to begin right away.

We are all on a journey... how we choose to treat others determines our daily outcome--detours become special meetings when we truly listen with our heart.

Author, Lena Nelson Dooley, has newly been awarded the Selah Award at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference for Maggie's Journey!

You won't want to miss her blog, A Christian Writer's World ~~ Characters who grip your heart, at lenanelsondooley.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

  1. So good to see Lena here and meet you, too! Love your quilt background and your joyful enthusiasm over good books:) That sure blessed me. Pray you're having a good Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Stay tuned for Mary's Blessing coming soon!! Hopefully will have a review posted tomorrow night ~*~ still reading. I wrote to Lena and told her I would be ready for the third book before the week was out, lol.

      My daughter's birthday was yesterday; she said it would begin at 2:36pm, so I waited and called and sang to her then. My birthday is tomorrow, the REAL Memorial Day, May 30th. So this year, we both have our birthdays "the same day."

      I love quilting! Today is our quilting day at church. Ladies come from surrounding communities and have been meeting together to machine quilt all day on Tuesdays for several years.

      This is our third summer here and we love it so much at our home on a hilltop above Lane Street!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kathleen, Oh I think I want to read this book too!! So many books, so little time... Happy, Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete