Friday, December 29, 2017

Daily Wisdom for Women 2018 Devotional Collection compiled by Barbour Staff, © 2017



I was very blessed when an author brought this book to my attention and then at a later time I was to receive a copy! Two years ago I bought a similar devotional for a gift for a friend and later bought a copy for myself. I so enjoyed that devotional, that I am looking forward to this 2018 collection.

In the back is a list of Contributors, a Scripture Index, and a Bible Reading Plan ~ Read Thru the Bible in a Year. Here is an overview of the content for the coming year:

Jesus first tells you, His follower, to "Come to Me" (Matthew 11:28 NKJV). Later He says, "Abide in Me" (John 15:4 NKJV). Yet you may think you must have your behavior fixed (read your Bible, go to church every Sunday, pray, have the perfect attitude, family, and relationships--spiritually and otherwise) before you can come to and deeply abide in Jesus. But the truth is, when you yield yourself up totally to Him, when you stop trying to live right by your own efforts, His power will come through you, allowing you to become a picture––an extension––of who He is, which will affect not only your life but the lives of those around you.
   To aid you in coming to, abiding in, and going deeper into God's Word, the Daily Wisdom for Women 2018 Devotional Collection contains readings about living a life abiding in Christ (see John 15:1-12), being rooted as a branch in the Vine, having your identity seated in the eternal instead of the temporal, and doing so with the help of the Holy Spirit––the life-giving sap between the Vine (Christ) and the branch (you).
   Every devotion corresponds to a particular day's reading based on Barbour's "Read Thru the Bible in a Year" plan found at the back of this book. As you read each day's devotion and focus verse, allow them to pull you into Christ's presence. Then pray around them, and walk on making God's Word a part of your daily abiding life.

I will include the first day ~

New Year's Day                                                                              Monday, January 1
Delight in His Word

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the
ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the
seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord;
and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
Psalm 1:1-2 KJV

"That week between Christmas and New Year's Day is always so exciting for me," Meredith said to her friend, Jan, as she poured herself a second cup of coffee. "I wake up on New Year's Day with so much anticipation for the coming year."
   "Really?" Jan asked, "Do you feel that way every year?"
   "Yes." Meredith smiled. "And I especially love how, as I start fresh with my Bible reading plan each year, I discover how the Word of God speaks something new to me. I have notes in my Bible from years past, but lots of times, I see something new and different."
   "Wow, you read your Bible every day? I don't," Jan admitted, "though I know I should."
   "Well, there are days I miss. When it happens too often, I start to feel detached. I need that connection with God every day. That time really empowers me and gives me a sense of His presence. I know I've come to know Him––and myself––better through reading His Word."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lord, I make a fresh commitment to truly abide in Your Word this year.
Help me read, discover, delight, and live in Your truth.
~*~

I hope you will join me in the study of God's Word in 2018. I wanted to share this devotional with you. May we both develop a desire to put His Word in our heart to grow closer to Him and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment