Saturday, October 28, 2017

The One Year® Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd, © 2017

Packaging

“Only one person never changes and is always with us: our Lord. With God, we can be more intimate than with any other because he is omnipresent—always with us. “So do not fear, for I am with you,” he pledges in Isaiah 41:10. “The Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you,” Deuteronomy 31:6 promises. I have long known that God loves me and loves you. But I long to experience it each and every day.” ~ author Sandra Byrd

My Review:

I have always loved Sandra Byrd's writings and in addition to several of her historicals, I have another devotional she shares ~ The One Year® Home&Garden Devotions. Her devotionals may be picked up any day and begin reading, so you don't have to wait for the new year... but, this may just be the one you choose for your Christmas gift to yourself to begin afresh on January 1, 2018. A wonderful gift to give to others, this devotional released October 3, 2017, ready now!

Why do I like these dailies? They come out of her heart and life and may bring to remembrance a similar time in your own life. A companionship of hearts ~ to boast us forward, to realize we do not stand alone, to encourage another and get us beyond our doors to share His love and life abundant. Sandra begins with a story, an applied Scripture, and a nudge for us.

Here are two excerpts from January (applies to any calendar year):

JANUARY 6

In Need of a Little Christian-­ease

So often we Christians exhort others to “have faith.” Have faith that the situation will be resolved in the right way. Believe that all will end well, although current events seem to be careening out of control. Trust that shattered relationships will be restored, that God is bigger than any situation or circumstance that we face and can overcome for and with us. Our advice is true and biblical. After all, we walk by faith and not by sight, as 2 Corinthians informs us. We’re so used to saying “just have faith,” though, that it’s become Christianese, something we casually reference but don’t practically facilitate.
   I’m here to tell you, it’s not “Christian- ­ease” to have faith in difficult times; it’s “Christian- ­hard.”
   We rejoice and praise together when times are good, but we must persevere and lean into faith in both God and his faithful followers when times are tough. God has promised that he will never leave nor forsake us, but as a child once said, I sometimes wish I had Jesus with skin on him, right here and right now, in my house.
   That little child’s prayer can be answered. The word encourage means to inspire courage or confidence in someone. People who need courage are facing a daunting, tiring, or worrisome situation. We are to help them be brave, to hold them up as it were, as they stand or fight. We experience the love of God in an unmatchable, powerful way when we act as his agents, on his behalf, offering that love to others. To “go and do likewise” (Luke 10:37) to someone who is disheartened is a marching order from Jesus Christ to all who believe.
   To whom, today or this week, can you bring a little “Christian-­ease” by your loving, helping presence? Having a “Christian-­hard” week, yourself? Be brave. Reach out to a loved one and ask for help and hugs.

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.                                                                                Hebrews 10:23‑25


JANUARY 14

Experiencing the Love of God

Training our senses, both physical and spiritual, to sense and see God at work around us takes practice. But it can be done and is well worth the effort to communicate with him in this manner every day. When we learn to discern his hands at work and act as his hands at work, we experience his love—and our partnership with him—in a deeper, more meaningful way.
   Scripture tells us that “whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father (see James 1:17, NLT), so that’s a great place to start. Got something good going on? Thank you, Lord!
   Scripture also tells us that “for whom the Lord loves He chastens” (Hebrews 12:6, NKJV). Had a gentle (or not so gentle!) correction lately, one that sent you in the right direction? Thank you, Lord!
   I have always had a thing with pennies, between God and me. When I see one I remember what is stamped on it, “In God We Trust.” It reminds me to trust him. When I’m feeling weak or worried, I often find a penny on the floor or on the ground, and I know he’s drawn my eye to it.
   One day I was under a lot of stress, and I asked the Lord, “Please reassure me.” I walked into the dry cleaner, which is owned by Christians, and heard a lovely praise song. I just knew that was from God! And then, as I paid, my eyes were drawn to a huge cup FILLED with pennies. “Need one? Take one!” it said. My eyes filled with tears. That was from him too.
   How do you see God’s work in your life in the natural world around you this week? Don’t skip past this. Stay here, prayerfully, until you can list at least five ways.

  1.

  2.

  3.

  4.

  5.

Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens.                                                                                              James 1:17, NLT
Sandra Byrd, The One Year® Experiencing God's Love Devotional, © 2017 Tyndale, © 2017. Used by permission.

Whatever the season, join in and let the Lord touch your heart with His wonderful plan for your individual life. His mercies endure forever!
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
Philippians 1:6 NLT
His grace is readily available to us. Discover the many and varied ways we experience the love of God!

Sandra Byrd
author Sandra Byrd
Click here to enJ*O*Y this wide selection of Sandra Byrd's writings! Something for everyone.

***I would like to thank author Sandra Byrd and Tyndale for sending me a copy of The One Year® Experiencing God's Love Devotional. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.***

No comments:

Post a Comment