Friday, September 20, 2013

A Home for My Heart by Anne Mateer, ©2013




I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call
 

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
and He hears me when I call


A Home for My Heart is so aptly named for this beautiful story of grace. I really liked the detail of the characters, displaying their needs and the care given as they learned to trust each other.

My favorite outstanding character is in the background ~ The Lord Knows Her Name. Here is my favorite line ~
   "It's been hard, not having the same schooling as everyone else, knowing they thought me stupid." Miranda looked at me now, her eyes bright and sad at the same time. "I didn't quit school because I couldn't do the work, you know. I quit because my pappy made me." She studied her short fingernails. "There were little ones to care for. I was the oldest girl. My brother Jim quit, too. Joined our pappy felling timber." Her words stopped as abruptly as they'd started.
   --A Home for My Heart, 240
So wise with a servitude heart ~ and here in an earlier part ~
   I stopped, holding my breath. It wasn't like Mrs. Fore not to hurry home and have dinner on the table. And Miranda. She rarely stayed longer than to shake Pastor Uland's hand.
   Mrs. Fore patted Miranda's arm. "There now. It's for the best, I'm sure."
   Miranda slumped, pressing a hand over her eyes. "I could've done that job. I know it."
   --Ibid., 52
It's Miranda... and Mrs. Fore with her compassion and wisdom in silence until she is needed and required as a comforter. Wise, wise, women. In depth knowing the love they have, from the One Who Matters.

I indeed liked Sadie and Blaine and how they held on to truth and forgiveness so apparent in their lives.

The biggest thread I picked up throughout was communication and the lack of it. Imaginations of what we think the other meant by their words or actions. It reminded me of the Christmas gifts given in the story of The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry. Each sacrificing to give the best they could give. Until... they lost sight of why they gave. Pride and sorrow for misplaced judgments, they could have saved themselves a lot of speculation had they talked to each other about their decisions. Each wanting to surprise the other with their gift, they could not recognize the other's sacrifice.

This story is so well written. It is applicable to all ages. Trust is significant.


A sweet story of hope and love set against the poignant backdrop of a 1910 orphanage

Sadie Sillsby works as the assistant to the matron at the Raystown Home for Orphan and Friendless Children, pouring all her energy into caring for the boys and girls who live there and dreaming of the day she'll marry her beau, Blaine, and have children of her own. But when the matron surprises everyone by announcing her own engagement, Sadie is suddenly next in line for the esteemed job of running the orphanage.

There's one glitch. The matron cannot be married. She must focus her attention on the financial, legal, and logistical matters of the Home. Sadie's heart is torn. Should she give up her plans for a life with Blaine in order to continue serving these children who have no one else? Does she, a young woman who was once an orphan herself, have what it takes to succeed in such a challenging career? And when the future of the Home begins to look bleak, can Sadie turn things around before the place is forced to close forever?


Anne Mateer Anne Mateer is a three-time Genesis Contest finalist who has long had a passion for history and historical fiction. She and her husband live near Dallas, Texas, and are the parents of three young adults. Visit annemateer.com for more information.









***Thank you to author Anne Mateer and Bethany House Publishers for sending me a copy of A Home for My Heart. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.***

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful review well written, thanks for sharing. I like this author and her books and am sure I will want to read this one.

    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,
      Anne Mateer has also posted some of her research this morning at http://petticoatsandpistols.com/2013/09/21/the-changing-care-of-orphans/. I have always had an interest in the orphan trains and the varied reasons children were chosen. I more would like empty arms than added working.
      I look forward to more of Anne's writings. She touches subjects of reaching dreams for a life, and finding the path set before them is the right one after all. I like her interaction and thoughts the characters have. By seeking what they know is best, they arrive in the right place of Jeremiah 29:11-14! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUwWg_zfoNs "For I Know" aka "The Jeremiah 29:11 Song"
      Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

      Delete